Our History

One of the oldest and longest-serving charities in Wiltshire

We have been supporting blind and partially sighted people living in Wiltshire for more than 100 years.

After World War One, there was a feeling throughout the country that more could – and should – be done to help those in need.  Ours was one of the charities established at this time, to support blind and partially sighted people to lead full and independent lives.  Much has changed since then, but our aims remain the same.

We were founded in 1919 as Wiltshire Blind Association.

In 2014, we became known as Wiltshire Sight, and moved to our office on Bath Road in Devizes.  St Lucy’s Sight Centre was opend on 25th Setpember by our president Lady Lansdown.

The name change reflected the way that we offer support to people affected by sight loss, and the way that health services are delivered.  We wanted to make sure that the needs of sight impaired people were taken into consideration.  Wiltshire Sight was felt to be much more positive, and recognises that people should have the opportunity to live fulfilling and independent lives whatever their degree of sight.

In 2018, we helped create Sight Support West of England.  We work closely with them to deliver our services, but remain our own independent charity.  We have our own Trustees, and our proud of our history.